Monday, April 4, 2011

C is for Capote

A few years ago when all of the movies were coming out about Truman Capote, I finally gave in and read In Cold Blood. It's not that I didn't want to read it; I just hadn't yet gotten to it. There was extra buzz about the movies here, because Phillip Seymour Hoffman grew up just outside of Rochester. (Personally, I almost preferred Infamous, as the character was more believable.)

It was a little long to get into, yet intriguing at the same time. It was the first time that anyone had tried to write a true crime story. Better yet, the author developed sympathy for the bad guys. This part really comes to light in the biographical movies about Truman Capote.

I like to read classic novels and try to imagine what it would have been like reading them for the first time, back when they were originally published. In a time of crime being broadcast all over every form of media, it is difficult for us to imagine the shock value this book had.

It also had a lasting impact. One of my favorite authors is Jon Krakauer, You may know him from Into Thin Air and Into the Wild. He has also looked into other famous murders and wrongful deaths, and writes about them in a captivating way. Perhaps without Capote, he would not have been able to do so.

Capote was also famous for penning the story that propelled Audrey Hepburn to iconic status. His story Breakfast at Tiffany's was later turned into the classic movie, giving us the image we all know and love.

Sometime you should also check out the original In Cold Blood movie.....

1 comment:

  1. I read In Cold Blood years ago and it scared me stiff. Took me years to get over it. It's extremely well-done. Probably Capote's best work, I think. Haven't seen the film.

    ReplyDelete

Due to tremendous amounts of spam, all comments are moderated and will be approved and published throughout the day.