Sunday, January 13, 2013

Interview with S.P. Wilcox, Author of 'Wishful Thinking' and 'Not Another Wish'




Today we are going to spend some time getting to know S.P. Wilcox, author of 'Wishful Thinking' & 'Not Another Wish.'


What was the inspiration behind this series?

The inspiration for the series comes from my own life experiences. I had this great story to tell about my best friend and me growing up together, going to Junior High, High School, College and pledging the same sorority together. But when I tried to wrap my head around changing all the names, places and events to protect the innocent or not so innocent it just became too daunting of a task. So, instead, I took small parts and I mean very small parts of our experiences and turned them into the books. The books just evolved from that point. I let the characters come to life and the stories play out. So, if you ask me are there really a Sydney and a Grant? I will tell you NO, there may be parts of Sydney and Grant that are true but mostly it is all from my imagination. But if you ask me is there a really a Matt and Kendall, then I would answer yes but their names are not Kendall and Matt.

Will the series continue beyond these two books? If so, what can we expect in the future?

At this point the series is not going to continue. But I will tell you that in my next book there will be cross over characters from this first series, so you have to keep your eyes close on the pages to see who pops up.

Which character spoke to you the most during the writing process?

Well, of course Sydney spoke to me the most because the books are truly about her life. I tried to infuse Sydney with as much reality as possible and to do that I had to draw on my own experiences in life. At times it can be very difficult to reach down in to your own heart and allow the feelings for others who have touched your own life come back out.

If you could bring this series to the big screen, which actors would you choose to play each part?

Wow…um…that will take me a few minutes to think about. I am not sure. Maybe some unknown actors? I know what they look like in my mind but bringing each character to life…on the big screen I don’t think I can even answer this question. Sorry!

Do you have any other projects in the works?

I do have a project in the works. It is a young adult romance novel. It is about a boy and a girl of course! They attend the same high school but don’t know each other. Well he knows her because her “bad” reputation precedes her but she doesn’t know him. Anyways…they meet under rather unusual circumstances and then keep bumping in to each other. They end of spending the entire Thanksgiving break together, realizing they have that undeniable connection and attraction for each other…you know the one I mean! Everything seems to be heading in the right direction until the lives they were leading before they met come into play. Meaning can they sustain the same connection once their friends, family, sports and outside influences become involved in their relationship. I am only about 65 pages in to the novel. It is written from both of their POV, which is fun to write but much more difficult and time consuming. I am hoping to have it out in the spring of 2013.

What are you reading right now?

Well, much to my family’s dismay, I am almost always reading something. So, most recently I have read, Crush by Lacey Weatherford; A Song for Julia and Just Remember to Breathe by Charles Sheehan-Miles; Backstage Pass by Olivia Cunning; Fallen toFar by Abbi Glines; Hopeless by Colleen Hoover. And that was just this week, so you can see where my family would be annoyed with me…I can’t help it I have a reading addiction problem!

If you could become a character in any book, whom would you be?

You ask interesting but difficult questions. I wouldn’t mind being Katherine Kavanagh in the 50 Shades of Grey series. Why? Because she has all her shit together, falls in love with Christian's brother and has no drama in her life only happiness and bliss. I guess since the main characters in almost all romance novels have all kinds of drama surrounding them, it is better to be the best friend of the main character who has the perfect little life...So I would pick to be Katherine Kavanagh.

If space and time were not a factor, with whom would you like to spend a day and what would you do?

Oh, dear, well, not to be depressing or anything. I would pick to spend the day with my Dad. He passed away in August 2011 and I would give almost anything to be able to spend more time with him while he was happy and healthy.

Did you make any New Year’s resolutions?

Absolutely, NOT, why set myself up to fail!

What is something readers may be surprised to learn about you?

I am extremely sentimental. I hate to be late. I am super bossy and I may have a problem with clutter…I hate clutter!

Is there anything else you would like to share?

Well, I want to thank all the readers who have read my books. I don’t think the average person understands how wonderful it is to see people not only buying your books but actually enjoying them. It takes a lot of heart and soul to write a book and then put your work out in to the world to be read by others, reviewed, criticized and critiqued it is very humbling. Any ways, I want to give my sincerest thanks to all the readers.

Thanks for your time!

Author Bio
S.P.Wilcox is an independent author living in Southern California with her husband, for children and puppy. She enjoys writing, reading, going to the beach and spending time with friends and family. Look for more works by this Author including Wishful Thinking and a new YA book out in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to tremendous amounts of spam, all comments are moderated and will be approved and published throughout the day.