Monday, April 23, 2012

Reading A to Z: H is for Hornby

Nick Hornby is my other male British chick-lit-with-a-male-protagonist love in life. You know him, too, even if you don't realize it. Do you remember John Cusack's movie High Fidelity? That was based on a Hornby book. How about Fever Pitch with Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon? That was based on Hornby's book, also, that was actually somewhat of a memoir. And then there was About a Boy that starred Hugh Grant. See?



You also know of him for adapting the screenplay for the Oscar-nominated film An Education. He has also regularly contributed to the magazine The Believer. I have read him all over the place.



When I was perusing websites to help me keep track of some of his other books, I came across a tidbit that says that Johnny Depp is going to produce A Long Way Down. That book wrecked me. A group of people all want to commit suicide on New Years Eve, and end up saving each other. There's even a bit of humor thrown in there. It will be interesting to see how that movie pans out.



My least favorite book by Nick Hornby was Juliet, Naked. It's about a woman who ends up corresponding with Tucker Crowe, who is her boyfriend Duncan's favorite musician. Duncan is obsessed with Tucker, to the point where he starts to ignore Annie. But Annie finds herself drawn to Tucker, creating quite the interesting love triangle. Somehow, I felt unsatisfied when it ended.



One of my all-time favorites is actually a young adult novel of his called Slam. It's about teenage pregnancy, told from the boy's point-of-view. Sam obviously isn't ready to become a dad at the tender age of 16, especially not with his now EX-girlfriend. This book is a coming-of-age kind of story that takes a fresh look at a common topic, from a different point-of-view.



Nick Hornby is a great storyteller, whose characters are often real and can ersonate with both men and women. I love him for a relaxing escape.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I've never read any of his work, but I have seen About a Boy.

    ReplyDelete

Due to tremendous amounts of spam, all comments are moderated and will be approved and published throughout the day.